KARACHI: The three-week province-wide lockdown may not be eased off after April 14 as Chinese experts, owners and chief executive officers of private hospitals and leading doctors have urged the provincial government to extend the restrictions to stop the spread of coronavirus in Sindh.
The provincial government had imposed a lockdown on March 23 for two weeks and then further extended the restrictions till April 14 in line with a decision made at the national level.
The suggestion to further extend the lockdown first came from experts from China during their meeting with Sindh Health Minister Dr Azra Pechuho. Then in the evening, CEOs of leading hospitals and prominent doctors met Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah and expressed the fear that the coronavirus could spread if the lockdown was not extended.
Sharing their experience with regard to the coronavirus pandemic, the Chinese experts were of the view that at least an eight-week lockdown was crucial to halt the spread of Covid-19.
According to a health department statement, they while appreciating the steps taken by the provincial government said that social distancing was the key to stop the spread of the virus and the authorities should ensure the lockdown for a longer period.
Praises doctors fighting on front lines
In a video message, the chief minister said that during the past 24 hours a doctor while helping Covid-19 patient got infected and within nine days lost his life but saved the life of various others.
He said he saluted all doctors and health workers who were fighting on the front lines against the coronavirus pandemic.
He said that 10,223 tests were conducted so far, including 634 on Tuesday. He pointed out that by Tuesday afternoon 54 new cases of coronavirus were detected raising the tally to 986.