(Karachi News): The brain-eating insect or Naegleria fowleri claimed another life in Karachi following a young man died because of parasitic meningitis disease and its complications in Jinnah Postgraduate Medical Centre (JPMC) on Friday, bringing the death toll to 13 this season, officials explained.
Analysis of his cerebrospinal fluid revealed that he was infected with Naegleria fowleri,” explained Dr Seemin Jamali, the executive manager of the JPMC. Experts say the disorder due to Naegleria fowleri is a rare and fatal brain disease and vulnerability to this microorganism happens during swimming or other water as this protozoa can be located in rivers, freshwater ponds and springs.
The amoeba ravels the nose up into the brain, where it causes harm. It’s the death because of Naegleria fowleri infection in Karachi this season. Last month, a 16-year-old boy in the Mahmoodabad region of the town had expired because of Primary Amoebic Meningoencephalitis (PAM), a rare disorder brought on by the brain-eating bug.
Dr Munir Afzal, a neurologist in the Neurology Department of the JPMC, stated the patient, Jamshed Hamid, has been attracted for their ward at a very serious illness in the Yousuf Goth region of town in semiconscious state with a high-temperature fever and headache, including that they instantly began the treatment according to standard protocols and altered the individual to the Medical ICU after his condition deteriorated.
He claimed that fluid in the spinal cord of the individual was sent to get an investigation once they guessed Naegleria fowleri disease. He added that the laboratory report affirmed that the individual had been infected with amoeba, who died in the hospital during treatment. Director General Health Sindh Dr Masood Solangi said their groups of specialists had begun investigating the situation and visited the house of the dead person to interview his loved ones, who advised him that Hamid had gone into a pool for swimming pool.
He said that the swimming pool with no chlorination might have been a location where the fatal brain disease contracted.”For the last many months and years, our teams of experts have been recommending that there is an urgent need to assess the process of chlorination and the level of chlorine in water at all the major reservoirs supplying water as per WHO recommendations,” Dr Solangi said, including cleanliness should be maintained in any way reservoirs, overhead tanks and other reservoirs of families, pumping stations and hydrants in fixed intervals.
He claimed that water lines have to be checked for leakages and rectified whereas there was an urgent demand for sensitising people to take care of their tanks using bleaching powder to prevent contamination. The capacity-building of local healthcare employees concerning early identification, surveillance and case management were demanded, he confessed.
On the other hand, authorities should direct water tankers’ builders to keep chlorine amount in their tankers’ water, whatever the status of chlorine in source water, whether they are taking water from water board hydrants, subsoil water wells or borings,” he stated, adding the water supply of mosques must likewise be treated with bleaching powder on a regular basis.
Karachi is breaking out positively in south Asia and breaking news Karachi is essential to be aware of current affairs in the region. Stick with 9 News for breaking news Karachi and stay alert of your surroundings.